Friday, December 12, 2014

A Bit Disorganized

This company may have among the best benefits, but this particular Sam's Club, at least, seems very disorganized. I arrived at work about 15 minutes early because I needed to cancel my previous membership. Associates get a different kind of membership which I was given at orientation. Nobody seemed to know how to process this cancellation which refunded all the fees we paid for the old one. I clocked in on time and came back down to the membership desk to pick up my refund. When I went back to the employees area to do my computer assignment, there were no computers available to use. There are 3 computers in this area and all 4 of the new hires from Wednesday - myself included - were assigned to use them all day for the CBL's (Computer Based Learning). OK. Three computers, and four people that need to use them. There was nobody at work that knew what to do. The HR person was not in, my supervisor was not in, and nobody knew what to do with me. I finally located a floor manager who suggested I "shadow" one of the Greeters until a computer became available or one of the other managers came in to make a decision. I eventually got to use one of the systems after two hours of "shadowing" a Greeter. The rest of the day was spent sitting at a computer doing these exercises. I don't know what they found to do for the other person that I replaced at the computer, but I know I got some time on one. The same schedule is set for today, but two of the people have different schedules so I will get to use one of the computers from the start.

Josie enjoyed the day off and made some cookies along with working on some more inside decorations and a Christmas afghan she is making. She also works today, so we both will be out for the day. Her time is 9:30 to 6 PM while I work the same noon to 8:30 PM schedule today.

It's been a fairly rough start on this new job, but I'm sure it will all work out. Actually, I was thankful that I got a chance to see what my responsibilities will be as a Greeter. The greeting part seems fairly easy, but working the exit and checking receipts carries a heavy responsibility to discover any errors on checkout receipts - especially with the longer lines created by the Christmas season. I'm hoping that familiarity with the job will ease the pressure. We'll see how day number two goes on the computers...

No comments:

Post a Comment