Sunday, October 16, 2011

Medicare Options

The real significance for yesterday was the beginning of the open enrollment period for Medicare plans. Every year we are given the opportunity to either sign up for optional coverage, renew existing plans or do nothing. For the last several years I have been on a plan that is best for my needs as it covers me for all states that we may travel through. The best part about it is that the cost is zero to me. Well, that is except for the monthly deduction from my medicare benefit that goes directly to the insurance company. I never see that small amount anyway so it's the same as being free to me. Josie doesn't have Medicare yet so it doesn't apply to her. This year will be like the last 4 years - I'll just let my plan renew itself. The government sends an annual handbook to all Medicare recipients outlining all these options and I just received mine last week. The thing I'm anxious to hear about is the increase - if any - in the monthly benefit. There has been no increase the last 2 years and that is a first in the history of the system. Politicians are all walking on thin ice as it is so I can't see going a 3rd year without any increase. We'll know very soon.

Once again the opportunity was given to people at work to leave early yesterday. Workampers have a real advantage in that leaving early is an option for us whereas regular employees may be asked to leave, whether they want to or not. That's probably one of the reasons some employees resent the workampers. I can tell you that the local merchants and the local economy really appreciate the influx of workampers.

Day 3 of our work week begins in just over an hour, so it's time to get breakfast and get moving...

No comments:

Post a Comment