Sunday, January 13, 2013

Laughlin Trip Planned

We had been talking about doing something special for my 70th birthday on Monday so we planned a short trip to Laughlin. Our original plan was to go tonight and stay until Thursday, but that was a long stay, so we shortened it to Monday through Wednesday, returning Thursday. Reservations were made and we were set for those days until I discovered that Thursday at 8 AM I am scheduled for my Colonoscopy. Oh well, Monday through Tuesday and returning Wednesday is still a nice present. The reservations are made at a different hotel for us - the Golden Nugget - where we have never stayed in all the trips we've taken to Laughlin. It will be nice to try a different place and the deals at almost all of the hotels are too good to turn down. It is a great time to go to Laughlin. We are looking forward to that trip.

The weather has completely turned to winter in Alaska. Our high was only 51 yesterday with a low of 28 and it is 23 outside as I write this entry. What's the deal? There are so many plants and trees that will be damaged or lost through this cold spell. While the east coast is basking in record high temperatures, we seem to be having enough winter for everybody. Their turn is coming as the cold weather is moving east, and by the end of the week we will be in almost tropical temps as the east gets frozen over.

I picked up my cholesterol medication yesterday and I really hesitate to start taking it. My diet will eventually produce normal cholesterol levels as it did previously. The Doctor prescribed Crestor which, of course, is a named brand, and it cost (my copay) $45 to fill. There are no generics for that brand. I went online to Crestor and found a savings card that maximizes my out of pocket cost at $18 for this medication. I took the card and my receipt back to the Pharmacy and got $27 back on the prescription. The card is good for a year, but I don't expect to be on the medication that long. Another example of runaway medical costs.

Our only outdoor activity for today is to go to Sam's Club to pick up my Vitamin D supplement and a few items to take on our trip. We will probably also take in our exercise hour at the fitness center and that will probably do it for today.

We are thinking about, and praying, that Austin is having a successful trip to Western Michigan University and are excited for him...



No comments:

Post a Comment