Saturday, December 22, 2012

All About Flowers

For the first time in several years, I signed up to help with deliveries of floral arrangements at holiday time. Yesterday, I was suppose to arrive at the shop where Josie works at around 9:30 AM, but Josie called when she got to work at 8:30 and asked that I come right away as some drivers were already there and loading up their vehicles for deliveries. I made it there shortly before 9 and got loaded up and headed out for my first run before 10 AM.

I ended up taking 3 loads out for delivery and was finished by 1:30 PM. I took some photos between delivery runs to show a little bit about the shop and the process. This first shot is of the production area where there are several designers, including Josie, that put all the pieces together:


I also got a shot of Josie working at her design station:


Finally, this shot was taken of the Jeep with the final delivery (for me) of the day:


My deliveries were made to the Sun City area which, as it turned out, were fairly easy since I am a little familiar with the area from playing on the golf courses in that town. The only problem with any of the deliveries was one that I made to the Boswell Hospital in Sun City. It is a huge campus and the proper entrance to take floral deliveries was difficult to find. The good news is that I will know where to take future deliveries to that hospital.

I get to do it all over again today. I received a call last night asking that I come in at around 9:30 to help out again today. The money isn't that great ($5.50 per completed delivery) but it is a little extra cash to help out at Christmas. I did 18 deliveries yesterday, so I should get almost $100 for 4 hours work. Not too bad.

The days through this weekend should be very busy for Josie, so she should be working full days until Christmas. I'm not sure if my services will be required for the rest of the time, but I'll find out tonight. It's one day at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment