Saturday, February 23, 2013

Play Ball!

Since I start working 45 minutes before Josie and have to stay at least an hour longer at the end of the game, we drove separate vehicles. My day started at 9:45 and didn't end until I clocked out at 7 PM. It was a hectic day, but was without any major problems. The first day, I'm told, is always the toughest and yesterday was no exception. It started with my counting all the inventory and stocking all the coolers and other warmers and stations. We had 12 people working our stand which is the largest and busiest of all the concession stands. The gates opened at 11:30 and the rush was on. The busiest part of the day was from the opening until about the 6th inning of the game when the traffic slowed to where I could let some people go home early. It was a sane and controlled afternoon for the rest of the game. Wouldn't you know that the Texas Rangers scored 2 runs in the bottom of the ninth to tie the Royals. Fortunately, the game was called and declared a tie after the nine innings.

All of the workers were sent home following the cleanup and lowering of the concession doors to close. That really started the beginning of my day-ending tasks. I had to once again count inventory and include spoilage and waste in the counts and fill out all the paperwork for our manager to enter into the computer in the office. According to our manager (Danny) our stand - the largest and busiest - was the smoothest of all the stands and we did the best job starting up for the year. That was a good feeling knowing that I wasn't going to be fired on the first day.

The biggest concern that I have for today, the second game, is that almost all of the people that were working yesterday have the weekend off, so I have to start again with an almost totally different crew for the day. If it goes as well as yesterday, I will be happy. I took the camera yesterday but had no chance to get pictures, and even if I did, I wouldn't know what to shoot. We can barely see the field from the stand, so they wouldn't mean very much anyway. I haven't decided yet whether to take it again today.  I start at 10:30 and Josie starts at at 11:15, so we get to relax a little bit this morning. Game two coming up...

No comments:

Post a Comment