Friday, February 1, 2013

Good Anniversary

Today, February 1st, is my anniversary of 14 years of non-smoking. There were times during the 40 plus years that I was a fairly heavy smoker that I thought 14 days would be impossible. I really enjoyed smoking when it was both fashionable and common in our society. Now, smokers are frowned upon and I am happy to not be included in that group. Besides, I am convinced that I would probably not be alive today if I hadn't stopped when I did. The real satisfaction is that I quit before my mother died and she was the biggest proponent of my non-smoking effort. I still remember my very first cigarette, and I also remember my last. Quiting was the toughest thing I ever had to do but it has paid off - so far. My lungs will never be like those of a non-smoker, but I am amazed at the improvement in my breathing and overall health. What a fool I was. Josie has been smoke free for 28 years, so she is way ahead in terms of enjoying a life of fresh air.

We hope to take advantage of the improving weather today by taking a trip to Prescott where we have not been in many years. It is another one of our favorite towns in AZ and we are anxious to see what changes have been made. The temperature is suppose to get into the 70's, so it should be a nice drive. We had also planned to attend the Phoenix Open Golf Tournament that is currently going on in Scottsdale, but decided to save that money for other activities that we can both enjoy. I am more interested in the golf than Josie, so she would prefer going somewhere else, I'm sure.

We received a call yesterday from the shop where Josie is going to work asking if I could be available for delivery driving on the few days leading up to Valentine's Day. Of course, that was affirmative. There aren't too many days left before she starts on the 9th, so we will try to do some interesting things between now and then...

No comments:

Post a Comment