Thursday, November 22, 2012

Tossing in the Towel

Windows 8 is out of my life! At least for now. I got so frustrated with not being able to move over the most important (to me) applications, that I reset the system, packed it up and returned it to the Costco warehouse in Glendale. I also returned the book to Barnes and Noble for a refund on that. I realized that the problems I was having were not worth the stress and confusion. Even the book, although helpful, was filled with disclaimers and negative comments on the new software. The whole experience was a nightmare and I'm sure that Microsoft is in for a long haul with objections and complaints regarding this operating system. The other problem is that it is very difficult to find a new computer - anywhere - that is being sold with Windows 7, the preferred alternative. The sales person at Costco told me that all of their Windows 7 laptops were flying off the shelf just before Windows 8 was released. The manufacturers and Microsoft are trying to jam the Windows 8 machines down everybody's throat by limiting production of new machines with Windows 7.

I located another system on HP's site that has Windows 7, but it is not discounted as much as my original system. With a smaller screen and slightly less memory, the new system I ordered this morning with the "Black Friday" special pricing is still about the same as the original. I never thought the process would be so complicated. After this experience, I'm hoping that Windows 7 will be much easier to implement. I know that my applications will run on that platform and it will, most likely, be the last upgrade I will make on any computer. The replacement will ship on December 3, so I expect to see it by around the 10th.

Today, we enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday by going to Brian and Amy's for dinner with their family and George and Cheryl. It is nice to be near some family for the holiday. We miss our own family but know that their day will be a happy one...

  HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!

No comments:

Post a Comment