Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Jobs and Computers

Josie had planned to do a drive to all the hotels and lodges in our area yesterday morning asking if they had openings for seasonal help. Armed with our excellent letter from the Virginian Lodge in Jackson, and our front desk experience at other locations, we felt that there would a good chance to get at least a part time job at one of those. I was going to pass on that activity since Josie would have a better chance getting a position alone. Besides, if I work at all, it will be at spring training in March. Anyway, Josie received an email from the HR person at Phoenix Flower Shops asking if she would be interested in seasonal work at one of their locations. Yes! She has an appointment next week to meet with them and work out the details, but she will work part time during the holidays and special occasions (Valentines Day, Secretaries Week, Mothers Day) at the Design Center located on Union Hills Rd not too far from where we are staying. It appears she will start in early December.

The other news from yesterday was that my new computer arrived. That was an exciting time as I unpacked the computer and went through the initial setup of the new software - Windows 8. What a shock! There is no resemblance at all to the Microsoft systems I've grown used to using. It is so different that I am having buyers remorse. I knew that it would be different, but this is like waking up to a home on Mars. It is a touch-based system for which I need to use a mouse and keyboard. I spent several hours trying to figure out how to load my old applications and I got so frustrated I went to Barnes and Noble and bought the book - "Windows 8 for Dummies" - which certainly describes my feeling. The book is over 1000 pages and cost $30, so it better guide me through this learning experience. There is no doubt that the future in computing, at least on a Microsoft platform, is with this new Windows 8. It is the same software being sold with their own hardware and on the Windows smart phones. They are really rolling the dice on this one. There are many applications that don't run at all yet on this platform - one of which is iTunes which I need to run my iPod updates. Ho hum. The laptop is great though with all the nice features I needed on a new PC.

I guess my day is planned -  trying to get a quick education on how to bring up this new computer so that I can use it. Right now, I am still plodding through the slow response times on my old system...

No comments:

Post a Comment