Saturday, November 17, 2012

MVD Visit

The dreaded task of renewing my drivers license was completed yesterday. It's not the test - a short eye test - or the money - $10 for 5 years - but the long wait for your number to be called. Actually, I arrived there at around 10:45 AM and was through the front desk, had my number, completed the test and had my photo taken before 11 AM.

That's the easy part. I sat in the waiting room, with about 75 other customers, until close to noon. I actually had 2 situations to address. The first was that I changed the address on my original drivers license on October 12, so that it would be easier for me to vote. See, our drivers licenses are for AZ, but our address on the license is our mail forwarding address in FL. The problem was they sent it to this location in Happy Trails just a few days before they actually set up our postal box here for our space - 976. The new license was returned to MVD and I never received it. It turned out I didn't really need it anyway as we voted using Provisional Ballots. The second situation was, of course, getting the new license.

When I reached the counter to complete my transaction, the nice young lady got confused and I ended up having to fill out a second form and have my picture retaken. Oh well, I'm legal now until January, 2018. It's sad to get old. They renew licenses for 10, 15, 20 years, and sometimes longer, depending on your age. I guess they figure I'm in the "risk" window of only 5 years now.

We're trying to figure out a good time to go to CA to salvage our goods in storage there and bring them back to AZ. We would like to have that done before Christmas, but the slow emptying of the shed here has caused a delay in that project. The whole activity needs to be coordinated with the sorting of our stuff in the space we have here in Surprise, and combining everything into one, slightly larger space. It doesn't appear like we will be able to get rid of our storage space entirely, as there is just too much stuff that we want to hang onto, and we do plan to eventually move into some kind of home base within the next couple years. We'll see how that turns out...

No comments:

Post a Comment