Saturday, November 10, 2018

Things are Never Easy

I took the new batteries to the fifth wheel yesterday and installed them the same way (I thought) as the old batteries. After connecting them, I tried to operate the levelers and got nothing. What a dilemma. I called my AAA service (which includes RV coverage) and they transferred my call a few times to different areas where RV service is handled. I finally was connected to someone who could help, only to have them tell me that the AAA RV coverage does not cover battery calls. I asked her what good the RV coverage was if I couldn't get help when I needed it and she responded that it only covers breakdowns and flat tires. Excuse me, how can a trailer break down? Whatever, I then tried to connect with a mobile RV service. The one (nearby) that I contacted was on his way to Camp Verde on a service call, but could help me tomorrow (today). I asked him what he charges and he indicated $75 for the call and $150 for each hour with a one hour minimum. Sheesh! $225 to fix a battery connection? I don't think so. My next move was to stop at our local RV dealership (Orangewood) and ask their service department for suggestions. I showed them this photo of my battery connections:


It was during this conversation that the service tech pointed out that the batteries could be in the wrong position. Yes! the battery on the right needed to be turned around and reconnected according to the photo above.

I went back to the trailer, disconnected the batteries, turned the right battery around, reconnected them and ….. success! It turned out to be a major project for such a simple task.

I am also now dealing with snails-pace response times on my computer. The new computer purchase exhausted my 4G data allocation while I was downloading so many files and applications. We reached 15GB after which the data transfer rate goes to 158KB. AT&T does not offer the ability to buy extra data like Verizon did. So, we are stuck until the monthly allotment resets on November 19. So much for their "unlimited" data plan. Another of the many, many strikes against AT&T...

No comments:

Post a Comment