Saturday, December 19, 2009

New Jobs Review

Everything went well on our first day on our new jobs. Josie arrived at the shop in Palm Springs on time to start at 8 AM and she generally had a smooth day. There are some differences in the way they do business which is to be expected. The main difference is in the way they price arrangements and she was able to handle that quickly. She likes the people she is working with and the owner, Brent, seemed pleased with her first day. We thought there would be a chance for some celebrities coming into the shop since it is Palm Springs and there was one that she waited on yesterday - Keely Smith, who is famous for the song "That Ol' Black Magic", and sang with Louis Prima in the 50's. We're sure she will see or hear about others coming in while she works there.

My day was filled with employee paperwork and administrative stuff in the morning. It's going to be a very different kind of job for me since it is totally maintenance oriented and I have to be careful about lifting heavy items. It is the kind of job that would be perfect for my brother, George, as it is much like being a handy man. I handled all of the jobs I was given yesterday but I need to learn where to find all the tools needed for these jobs. The people I work with are very nice and very helpful. There is a lot of remodeling taking place and I will help with a lot of that. I fixed a screen door on a rental unit and tacked down some carpet in another, along with helping remodel one of the rooms in the Adult Lodge. There are lots of jobs like these and they will keep me busy for a long time. I was given a golf cart to use while here along with some shirts, a hat, goggles to use that are also nice sun glasses, and one pair of brown pants. I need to have at least 3 pairs of pants but they only had 1 that was my size. I had to go to to Walmart last night and buy another 2 pairs for which I get reimbursed.

There is a lot more that can be described but I'll do that little by little over time. Josie is getting ready to leave for work to start at 8 and I don't start until 9:30, which will be my regular start time. Anyway, that's about it for our exciting first days on the new jobs...

No comments:

Post a Comment