Saturday, May 10, 2014

Longer Day

It was a busier day yesterday for deliveries. You would expect the volume to increase the closer we get to the holiday. I did 20 deliveries yesterday versus 11 on Thursday. My assigned area the last two days has been Peoria, which is different from my area last year in Sun City. I would much rather deliver in Sun City. The reason is fairly obvious: there are many more working mothers in Peoria than there are in Sun City. That means I have to spend (waste) more time knocking on neighbor's doors to find somebody home that can accept the delivery. Another reason is that Peoria has much more traffic congestion than Sun City. Most folks in Sun City ride in their golf carts, whereas in Peoria, there are more autos, buses and trucks, not to mention congested shopping areas. My final run yesterday was for 4 deliveries that were scattered over 35 miles. It becomes difficult to (financially) justify so few deliveries over such a wide area. If I have my way today, that won't happen. My pay as a contract driver is a per delivery compensation as opposed to an employed driver's salary regardless of how many deliveries he makes. If I have to drive long distances between deliveries, there is not as much return on my time.

It is expected to peak - or be near the peak - for deliveries today. I hope to do at least 30 today, and anything short of that will be disappointing. Tomorrow should also be a huge day. Josie has worked 11 hours each of the last two days and will most likely have another long one today. With only two days to go, we should make it through all right. It seems like the business this year is off from last year, but that can change today and tomorrow. At any rate, the store is happy to have Josie helping this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment