Thursday, June 9, 2011

Record Heat Expected

We have been watching the national weather as the record heat wave moved closer and closer to us on the coast in Virginia. It has arrived. Our high yesterday was 96 with a low of 72, but the humidity was over 80%. It is already 80 degrees here at 7:30 AM and the humidity is already at 80%. We expect a high today near 100.

It was very difficult working outside yesterday with the heat and humidity. I spent most of the time cleaning our fleet of rental carts to get ready for the busy weekend. I was soaking wet with sweat just moving the carts - and then I had to clean them. They didn't get finished so that job is on my list again for today. There really isn't any job that can be done outside that doesn't require some physical exertion, so I'm stuck. This is the first time since I worked at the Palm Springs Thousand Trails campground over a year ago that my work assignments are all outdoors. I sure pick the hot spots to work the outside jobs. And then there's Josie, who tells me it is almost too cool in the office/store where she works.

There is another problem that has developed here that is a new experience for us. The water has suddenly turned offensive - in both smell and taste. It almost smells like rotten eggs and it makes it difficult to take showers and to drink. We are told that it gets that way when there hasn't been enough rain to replenish the well to the level where there is no problem. The strange thing is that not everybody has experienced the problem, but we all use the same water. Anyway, we went to Walmart after work yesterday and bought some extra water to use for drinking and to make our morning coffee.

My schedule was changed today from the morning shift (8 AM to 1 PM) to the afternoon shift (1 PM to 6 PM) because my counterpart (Bruce, who works 8 hr days) has to attend a class at our sister park this afternoon which would have left the Host position uncovered during his absence. That translates into my having to work during the hottest part of the day. Josie also switched with another person so that we would have the same hours today. I'll take the camera today in case there are some "exciting" events in the record heat...

No comments:

Post a Comment