Friday, June 10, 2011

Brutal Heat For Us

It reached 99 degrees yesterday and 85 % humidity. It is difficult to imagine anybody without air conditioning in this heat, but there are people out there without it. I had to work in the heat during the hottest part of the day and I was drenched from sweat the entire afternoon. I had to finish up the cleaning of the rental carts and park them in the storage area where we also perform maintenance tasks on our equipment:


After finishing up on the carts, I rode around the campground to pick up any trash and to cool off. It's not so easy to cool off in this "sticky" heat. Since I had the camera with me I took a shot of the boat storage area to show the hundreds of boats that are kept here by the seasonal people during the summer:


Many of those boats get used each weekend as this is a big fishing area. In fact, there is a fish weighing and certification duty that we perform for people that want to submit their catch for plaques and record certification. One person came in yesterday with a fish - I don't know what kind - and it was weighed at 7 lbs, 10 oz, which was a large catch for whatever species it was. If I were a true fisherman, I would have found out  what it was, but someone else did the weigh-in, and I didn't ask the species.

Our new schedule for the next 2 weeks was issued yesterday and we still are averaging less than 30 hours per week. Our conversation with the manager seems to have had no effect, and we just can't keep working these hours, especially since we are responsible for our electric charges. Her comment was that the business has been slow, but our offer letter said nothing about our hours depending on business. The fact remains, they over-hired this year and they can't give everybody the hours they expect. We will continue to leave the door open to alternatives.

All of the "wet" weather seems to be going north of us, so we aren't sure how long the hot spell will last. It's already 82 outside this morning, so it looks like another "burner". Josie works from 2 PM to 8 PM, and I have security duty tonight and will start at 5 and work to 2 AM, with 1 hour out for dinner. Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment