Monday, February 14, 2011

More Cheerleading

The first 2 hour stint at work yesterday was in the same spot I finished the day before. It was practically a front row view of the competition for the National Cheerleading Championship. There were 2 locations in the complex where the competition was being held and after my first 2 hour stint, I finished my work day at the other location in a different complex. The view was almost as good there while working and I was able to watch the competition right up to the end at 9 PM last night.

In conversations with other people I was able to find out that there were 27 categories for this competition. There were Varsity Division I & II High Schools, each with non-tumbling and tumbling, building (creating human pyramids) and non building, Junior Varsity with all the same breakdowns, Jr High teams, Recreation Club teams, and several others. I thought that there were at least 100 teams here, but I think it is closer to 200. It's ironic that both of the National Championship teams from the 2 main categories are from Kentucky. The Division I champion is Paul Laurence Dunbar High School from Lexington, KY, and the Division II champion is Greenup County High School in Greenup, KY. I watched the final performance of each of those and they were very athletic and very deserving from what I could see. There was a video played of the first competition held in 1990 and the presenter of the championship trophy was Jerry Lewis. They've come a long way since then.

This has been a very quiet Valentine's season - the second in a row for Josie. She feels very bad that she wasn't able to get "involved" in the big day from the florist standpoint. We always thought that no matter where we were, there would be a need for help at shops to get the work out. The business has obviously been impacted by this poor economy. Maybe it will improve as time goes on. We hope so.

We will take advantage of the nice weather we are expecting this week. Today we plan to take a drive to some areas we haven't seen yet. That is, after we do our workout and have morning coffee at the clubhouse...

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment