Sunday, February 13, 2011

Interesting Day at Work

We are pretty much settled in for our cabin week. There were only 2 trips back to the fifth wheel to pick up a few items that we didn't necessarily forget, but thought they would be useful here. It seems like the weather is improving so it should be a nice week.

The day at work was different from any I've had before. First of all, when I arrived for my 2PM shift there were vehicles and people everywhere. I had to park in a grassy area far from the complex and walk a fair distance to get to our check-in office which is in the stadium. Each of our daily assignments is suppose to be 2 hours long after which we get "bumped out" or relieved by another individual. We are handed a printed slip of paper with instructions on where to go for the next 2 hour assignment, or go to break, or lunch. After the break we go to the office, key in our ID number and get another assignment.

It was very cool all day and I wore my shorts which would have been a mistake if I had to work outside somewhere. I was lucky though, and had all my assignments indoors. There were 2 major events - field hockey championships and the National High School Cheerleader Championship. I was fortunate to be assigned in different locations within the fieldhouse where the Cheerleading Championship was being held and was able to watch the competition while directing foot traffic and generally, just guarding my area. I was able to stay warm and also enjoy the competition. These teams have all won regional competitions to get here and there were probably 100 teams representing all parts of the country.

I wasn't able to hear the final results but watched several teams from cities I knew - Rancho Santa Margarita High School in CA, and Germantown High School from Philadelphia, to name a couple. I can say that high school girls didn't look like this when I went to high school. Maybe it's because I'm just too old to remember. Anyway, it was a lot of fun to watch and the work assignments were easy.

My start time today isn't until 3:30, so it will be a long afternoon and ends at 9:30 tonight. The competitions go until 10 PM so it is also a long day for the teams. I will be happy to get assignments like I had yesterday, but we never know until we get there.

There's not much else to mention, so that about wraps it up for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment