Sunday, January 30, 2011

Long Walk, a Fairly Short Day

,Everything went according to plan yesterday. I arrived at the Wide World of Sports complex on time at 9 AM and we all - 6 of us - went on a long walking tour of the whole complex. It is an unbelievable place, and there were events just about everywhere. Starting with the AAU Volleyball tournament, College Lacrosse Tournaments, baseball with the "baby" Braves (the minor leaguer's) and even a Play Station area in the back of the ESPN Grill that has tournaments. The total area of the complex is 220 acres, and there are fields for everything.

We went back to the training area and did some online computer training, broke for lunch, and finished up with more computer training. Schedules were handed out and since my schedule had me working today, I had to take a trip to the Costuming Center, about a mile from the complex, to pick up my uniforms.

The "costume" consists of a special Wide World of Sports shirt, 2 jackets - one fleece and one that is like a parka that we use. Also, I picked up black slacks, a black belt, rain suit and a black hat. I can actually wear any sport team hat that I have, but I can't find a decent one, so I will wear their standard, plain black hat, until I can buy an ESPN hat which is also acceptable. I don't get to keep any of these nice clothes and will have to turn them in at the end of my commitment. They do look sharp though. I will try to get some shots of the uniform today.

My day is from 8:30 AM till 5 PM today, and my "role" is scheduled as Usher. What I will be ushering is unknown to me at this point. It looks like my definite work days will be Fri-Sun, with extra days during the week thrown in depending on the events. It will be a different, and fun experience, I'm sure.

Josie is going to try some local places for employment today since there still is no movement at the campground to get workampers hired. The budget crunches have hit this campground at least. More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment