Monday, December 13, 2010

What a BLAST

First of all, this will be a combined entry for yesterday and today. I couldn't get the post done yesterday for a couple reasons. The main reason was there was little or response time with our Internet connection and I couldn't even sign on. The nasty weather arrived in force with heavy snow and very cold temperatures - 19! To make matters worse, we ran out of propane on Saturday night which we didn't discover until we arrived home from work at 5 AM on Sunday morning. We actually tried to fill one of our propane tanks on Saturday afternoon in preparation for this storm, but all the local propane stores close at 1 PM on Saturday. Of course, we don't get up from our sleep until almost that time. Anyway, we scrambled to set up the electric space heaters as a temporary heat source for the whole trailer but the 30 amp electric service here doesn't allow for extra appliances and I had to go outside a couple times to reset our circuit breaker - brrr.

This morning (actually Sunday early PM) I tried to locate a propane source and spent almost the entire free time we had before working again. I got lucky and found a gentleman running the store of the other campground up the road that took my tank down to the Marina (while I watched the store - trusting soul), opened it up to fill my tank, and he brought it back to the store for me. There are some nice people! All of this while the snow is coming down to beat the band.

The storm worsened while we were at work and the wind has picked up to 30-35 MPH which is causing the snow to drift over the roads. We are happy that we have the 4 wheel drive Jeep. Lots of people either didn't come to work or left early this morning.

One thing I'm proud to report is that I received a gold coin (worth $1 in our vending machines - wow) for having one of the top 3 stowing performances from the day before. There are many stowers - probably 25-30 or more - so it is an honor to win one. Both Josie and I have very good performance numbers which is something everybody strives for.

It's nearly 6 AM and almost time to go to bed. We still can't get used to this upside down schedule and will definitely not work these hours again - ever.
Even if we get up at noon it only leaves a few hours before we need to get ready for work again. We only have 6 more work days to go. I think we'll make it...

No comments:

Post a Comment