Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Arctic Living

With our grey water tank still out of commission as a result of the lingering sub-freezing weather, we had to take showers at the bathhouse. There are 2 side by side bathhouses and each has a women's and men's rest room/showers combination. I always used the one on the left for my showers because it had a larger shower stall. Josie started using the one on the right because her first experience in the other one was not good as a result of the hot water not flowing fast enough to the shower. Anyway, I got into my shower after preparing everything in the stall - spreading my stand-on towel, stripping down, placing my shampoo and conditioner and soap in the shower and getting everything lined up for when I get out - and, you guessed it, the hot water was shut off in this bathhouse. I had to get out of the stall, dry off my cold body, dress and pack everything into my bag and move over to the other bathhouse to take my shower.

It's not easy living in these arctic conditions without the use of the grey water tank. It is still only 31 degrees outside after a low this morning of 16. It needs to get above freezing before we can get everything thawed out and fixed before the next cold spell that is scheduled to arrive early next week. Our free time over the next couple days will be spent performing preventive measures on the underside plumbing of the rig. It really, still upsets me when I think about the honey-wagon guy not closing the valves in the proper order that would have prevented all this hassle.

There are only 9 more scheduled work days, so we need to figure out where to go from here. Actually, Florida is getting cold weather also, so we may decide to detour back out to Arizona after our visit with Josie's sister in Edgewater. It also depends on how things go after we get there as far as workamping opportunities. Florida is a tough place to find good workamping jobs in the winter. There is a huge RV show in Tampa around the middle of January that, if we are still in Florida then, would like to attend. There are supposed to be many employers there looking for workamping help. We'll see how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment