Thursday, June 17, 2010

High Winds and Reflection

The big story for today's entry is not about yesterday, but about last night and this morning. We have had a few thunderstorms over the last couple days but last night the winds moved in. Boy, did they ever! We rocked and rolled most of the night and woke up to a continuation of winds that were in the 50-70 MPH range. The damage caused to many of the rigs in our Workamping area was pretty severe. I went out this morning and took some shots of the damage and I saw at least 3 awnings down plus furniture, patio mats and grills blown over. I have 2 of the shots below. The first is of the awning lost by the neighbor directly across from us:


All that is left of his awning is the white bar you see on the ground. Part of his awning fabric is wrapped around the picnic table, and the rest is in front of the rig that is next to ours. The next one is what is left of the topper awning on the rig that is 3 locations down from ours:


So far, we have been very fortunate - there is no damage to our fifth wheel.

Yesterday also was the end of our first week of working our new jobs. It is too soon to make any final decisions about the jobs and how they compare to our expectations. I will say that Josie is not happy with standing around so much with nothing to do but "watch the clock and try to look busy". My week was the total opposite. My schedule had me getting off work at 11:30 PM after closing each night. My co-worker on the shift, Karen, was to assist me in closing out the operation and the earliest we finished was 11:45, but most nights it was well after midnight before we got out of work. We have been so busy on our job at the front desk that Karen couldn't even take her dinner break last night. It is non stop check-ins, reservations, phone calls from guests and new reservations. The work isn't so bad, but I'm having a hard time understanding why they schedule a new person (myself) to train to close out when they have several people available to do that that have been here for many years. I think I know the answer. Nobody wants the stress, responsibility and the long hours involved for that job. Like I said, we'll wait and see what happens in the next week.

We will definitely plan some interesting outings on our days off, once we get started. It is nice to just relax a little bit this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment