Thursday, March 6, 2014

Work Discrepancy

Our stand at the spring training games is the largest one in the stadium. We have six cashiers, three utility workers, three cooks, a lead cashier, and myself as the stand lead. It is my job to count the inventory before a game and following the game, along with making sure everybody does his job. It is the lead cashier's job to manage the registers during a game and to count the money following the game and turn it in to the office following a game. My inventory of goods sold should match the cash receipts. Simple enough, right? Yesterday, following my inventory count and comparing what the inventory said to what was received in cash showed a $600 difference. When there is any kind of disparity in the cash receipts versus the inventory, I end up re-counting areas that the manager feels might be in error. We found no discrepancies.

The night ended with the manager having one of his supervisors going to my stand to re-count the entire inventory after I was told I could go home. We have had instances where a cashier has taken (pocketed) money in the past. There is no system in place that verifies any cashier's receipts versus product sold, so it is very easy to steal money. It creates a situation where we are dependent upon the honesty of each individual at the registers. It's a terrible system, for sure. I will find out what caused the shortage this morning when I go to work at 10 AM. Either somebody didn't enter sales properly at the register, or there is a thief among the staff.

That is only one problem that has tarnished our experience this year. The company - Aramark - is not employee friendly and we are expected to work our positions without any breaks, eating any food, or drinking any liquid during our time in the stand. Now, I arrive at the stand at 10 AM and work until almost 6 PM most days. Being forced to go that amount of time without any food or drink has to be a violation of the labor laws.  I will research those laws this morning.

If it sounds like we are unhappy, it is true. Neither Josie nor I are satisfied with the way this year's schedule has been handled. It is not the same fun environment as last year, and we are at a crossroad as to how to proceed with the rest of our schedule. Today will go a long way in deciding what our next step should be...



No comments:

Post a Comment