Tuesday, February 21, 2017

First Day Impressions

Our first day on the job at the Texas Lakeside RV Resort was overwhelming. That was to be expected as there are so many new procedures and requirements that we are not used to. The storm that went through yesterday morning prevented me from doing any outside work, so I spent the entire day with Josie working inside and learning the procedures relating to the Campground Manager software that we had worked with previously. Our initial reaction is probably a normal one - we don't like it. I'm sure that as we get more familiar with everything and get more into the job, the uneasy feelings will disappear. We hope so.

The main problem for me yesterday was the time spent cleaning restrooms which I detest. It is a daily requirement and something that Josie and I will be responsible for until a housekeeping crew can be hired at some point in the near future. We also were given instructions to drive to Austin on Thursday to take the propane dispensing exam for certification. We were given a manual to study and it is an open book test, but to be given just two days - actually, two nights - to learn the material is very demanding. Our initial schedule has us working 8 of the next 10 days - we signed up for 4 day work weeks, so I'm not sure what they are thinking. I do know that the couple that is training us are leaving on the 2nd of March, so we need to have as much time as possible with them before they leave. I did happen to get a couple shots yesterday at the propane station. This is Sheryl - the one training us on the inside work - with Josie, explaining the system, and also a shot of the propane station:



The other half of the departing couple - Matt - has another job locally with a different company. He was told by his physician that he should not perform any more of the physical, outside work, so he recently found this other job. We don't fully understand his role here, but he is gone most of every day working the other job.
I hope that I get a chance today to do some outside work with their maintenance person - Victor - who was not working yesterday as a result of the storm, and to learn more about the other requirements for my duties. Josie has her "niche" in the office, so it will be interesting to see how it goes today. I know that with only one computer system in the building, it will be difficult for me to do any work on the system during regular working hours.

The sun is shining today and it will warm up to the high 70's, so we look forward to getting more training and to begin to feel more comfortable with our duties...

No comments:

Post a Comment